The City of Waterloo's economic development team works to facilitate a positive local business environment by focusing on attraction, expansion and retention.
The team's expertise guides many corporate priorities:
- Encouraging business retention and expansion
- Facilitating development projects
- Fostering a positive business environment
- Managing the city's industrial land inventory
- Marketing the city to key stakeholders
- Providing economic and community information
To deliver economic development services, we also liaise and partner with many key community stakeholders, including Canada's Technology Triangle (CTT), other municipalities, the Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, Communitech, Waterloo Region Small Business Centre, UpTown Waterloo Business Improvement Area and the Waterloo Region Tourism Marketing Corp., among others.
This brochure gives more details about the role of economic development in Waterloo. Visit the team today on the first floor of City Hall. Google Map
Supporting economic vitality
Based on the current market trends, our economic development team works to support economic vitality in a number of ways.
- Create a vibrant city - People more here and stay here because of our rich cultural lifestyle that is built on arts, culture, festivals and events.
- Keep and grow businesses - Each year we implement many economic development initiatives, respond to hundreds of investment inquiries and serve thousands of visitors, among other projects.
- Protect future employment land - We own 61 hectares (150 acres) of employment land assets that are planned for release over the coming years.
- Market the city - We are engaged in a variety of marketing initiatives, including partnerships and collaborations with other organizations that have an economic development mandate - CTT, Communitech and the Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce.
- Connect with key stakeholders - We continue to promote economic development programs and initiatives, and connect with government agencies that offer assistance programs for industry.
- Promote the supply chain - We support the Manufacturing Innovation Network (MIN) to give manufacturers a forum to exchange ideas and the opportunity to connect to the local supply chain, first.