This is a big year for Canada! We're celebrating our country's 150th birthday! Check this page for information about events, projects and programs happening throughout the year to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation.
- University of Waterloo Canada Day celebration - July 1
- This year's celebration will be bigger than ever! Offering entertainment for all ages, including a range of family activities, delicious festival food and drinks, live performances by Canadian talent, and a spectacular fireworks display, you won't want to miss this event.
- We Are Waterloo Portrait Project exhibition - on now until June 9
- Together we celebrate Canada's 150th birthday, with over 500 unique and inspiring self-portraits by individuals who work, play and live in Waterloo. Collectively, they tell the story of our diverse community.
- Service centre open house - June 10
- Through the living legacy tree-planting program, a total of 2017 maple trees, approximately three feet in height will be distributed throughout the 2017 planting season. 517 trees will be handed out on a first-come, first served basis at this year's service centre open house.
- Earth Day - May 6
- Through the living legacy tree-planting program, a total of 2017 maple trees, approximately three feet in height will be distributed throughout the 2017 planting season. Through the living legacy tree-planting program, 150 trees will be handed out on a first-come, first served basis.
The central promenade - TD Bank Group is working with local communities across Canada to revitalize green spaces in celebration of Canada's 150th birthday. Thanks to the generous support from TD, through the TD Common Ground Project, Waterloo Park's Central Street entryway will become a more welcoming pedestrian-friendly entrance to the park and the central promenade bridge over Silver Lake will be twinned to provide a safer separate route for cyclists and pedestrians. There will also be a lookout over silver lake that will provide an opportunity for small scale events and gatherings and a gathering place will be created at the Central Street entrance.
- The Waterloo Public Square will be decked out in red and white this summer when the flower beds in the square will be filled with spectacular red and white floral displays.
Media release: City of Waterloo appoints two university officials as Canada 150 Community Leaders
For more information on the Canada 150 Community Leaders network, please visit the FCM website. Follow this network of local leaders on Twitter using #Muni150 and on Facebook.