Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Residential Rental Licences

A row of houses

The City of Waterloo's residential rental housing licensing by-law (no. 2011-047) give us the ability to manage low-rise residential rental housing in the City.

It balances the needs of property owners with those of residents looking for safe, adequate and properly maintained rental accommodation, while limiting the impact of large rental housing units on residential neighbourhoods.

Under this program, landlords must apply for a licence and renew it annually by April 1. If a rental property sells, the new owner must apply for a new licence, which includes getting all the necessary documentation and inspections.

Visit the frequently asked questions pages for more information.


Residential Rental Licence applications are available in person using this application. Only completed applications, including all supporting documentation, will be processed.

Once the application is complete, please bring all your documentation to the enforcement office on the first floor of City Hall at 100 Regina St. S. in Waterloo. Applications for Rental Housing Licences and renewal applications for existing licences can also be submitted online.

To help with the application process, please view our sample application package. If you require an accessible version, please contact Municipal Enforcement Services.

Supporting documents

  • Police Criminal Record Check (issued within 6 months of the date of application)
  • Electrical Safety Authority ElecCheck Certificate (issued within 6 months of the date of application)
  • HVAC certificate (issued within 6 months of the date of application)
  • Insurance certificate
  • Floor plan
  • Parking plan
  • Proof of ownership (transfer agreement or deed)
  • Property maintenance plan


This handout outlines the rental licensing fees, including initial application and renewal fees. We accept cash, debit, cheque or money order methods of payment for in-person applications. Please make your cheque or money order payable to the City of Waterloo.


If you believe someone is violating the Residential Rental Housing Licensing By-law and would like to file a complaint, please contact us online or by calling 519-747-8785.

More information

The following pages have more information on the rental housing licensing program: