Open Streets are global community street festivals inspired by the Central and South Americas ciclovias and Seattle's Car Free Sundays.
There are over 100 initiatives in North America alone, including Hamilton, Toronto, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Chicago, New York City and San Francisco.
Open Streets are all about the livable cities movement! These community events temporarily close streets to automobile traffic for walking, dancing, playing and socializing.
You're invited to enjoy live music, art and activities, community groups, businesses and eateries. Local vendors, artists, not-for-profit organizations, and other performers gain the opportunity to share their product and services.
2016 Open Streets dates:
- June 12
- July 24
- August 21
- September 18
Each event runs from 12 - 5 p.m., starting in Waterloo Public Square.
Get involved and volunteer
We are looking for friendly, hardworking, team players to assist us make the Open Streets events awesome! volunteer today.
Open Streets volunteer events assistants will:
- Work with other dedicated community members and leaders
- Enjoy the happenings on King Street while they help out
- Be key contributors to the success of an awesome summer event series
This sounds awesome, am I qualified?
We are looking for people of all experience levels who have good communication skills, can act as team players and are responsible. Some positions will require that volunteers are mobile and able to be outdoors in less than ideal weather (i.e. heat or rain). Teens aged 16-18 must have parental consent. Younger teens can volunteer with a parent or guardian. Applicants who can volunteer for more than one event date are preferred.
Great, so what roles can volunteers fill?
There are a variety of positions that events assistants will fill. If there is something you are particularly interested in, be sure to let us know!
Open Streets volunteer roles include:
- Street chalkers: chalk artists will decorate the street with way-finding and event information. Doodling is also encouraged.
- Animations assistants: help the street animators find their designated spots on the street, and set up their home for the day.
- Registration and headquarter assistants: help the volunteer coordinator make volunteer check-in a breeze, and provide information to event attendees.
- Runners: You'll be helping move supplies from headquarters to the street, fill-in for your fellow volunteers that need a break, and help events staff on an as-needed basis
- Photographer assistant: Help the event photographer throughout the day and collect waiver forms from the photo subjects.
- Greeters and guides: welcome people to the event and provide information to the attendees. Use the map provided to help people find their way.
Want to help out? The first step is to fill out a volunteer application form.
Does your business or community group want to be on the street at the next Open Streets event? You can promote your business to the KW community and take part in a unique event. Participation is free of charge!
Questions? We want to hear from you. Get in touch with the committee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.