Property taxes allow the City of Waterloo to provide the important municipal programs and services you value and expect. Click here for a breakdown of how the City of Waterloo spends property tax revenue.
Tax bill components
Your final property tax bill has three components:
- Education taxes - 17 percent
- Municipal taxes (to the city) - 31 percent
- Regional taxes - 52 percent
Use our online calculator (for residential properties only) to see how much of your property tax bill goes to the City of Waterloo.
We set your property taxes using your property assessment (determined by the Municipal Property Assessment Corp) times the city's tax rate, the Region of Waterloo's tax rate and the provincial education tax rate. To calculate your total property tax bill, multiply your property assessment by the total residential tax rate.
In 2014 the residential tax rate is 1.179211%
- City of Waterloo 0.357465% + Region of Waterloo 0.618746% + all school boards 0.203000% = 1.179211%
A residential property assessed at $337,000 would therefore incur $3,973.94 in property taxes in 2014
- $337,000 x 1.179211%= $3,973.94