The City of Waterloo is responsible for winter road maintenance, including plowing, sanding and salting roadways, crosswalks and city facility walkways/parking lots. Using provincial guidelines set out in the Municipal Act, all roads in the city are categorized based on their intended use and maintained accordingly.
Please be advised that all maintenance standards are based on post-event operations (i.e., after a snowfall or ice storm has ended). At all times we do our best to clear snow and ice quickly from the roadways. Many factors, including temperature, forecasts, and precipitation determine how/when plowing, salting and sanding take place. See snow-clearing priorities page for more information.
During extreme winter weather events, the city may declare a 'snow ban' in effect, meaning all overnight street parking is prohibited to facilitate road clearing (no exemptions allowed). Please check the snow ban news feed on this website, or our Twitter account @citywaterloo to determine if a snow ban has been declared.
To enquire about winter road maintenance, please contact our Service Centre at (519) 886-2310 (7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday) or notify us on Twitter @citywaterloo.
For additional assistance outside of normal business hours, please call (519) 886-2310 and follow the prompts dependent upon your concerns.
How you can help
- Do not park on the street during a snowstorm or while snow-clearing operations are underway
- Clear snow away from fire hydrants
- Pile all snow from your driveway and sidewalks on your property, not on the road
- Please be patient while you wait for plows to get to your street
- Remind children not to climb or play in snow banks
- On your garbage day, place garbage and recycling containers close to the road edge but in your driveway so that they do not interfere with snow removal
- Drive smartly - give yourself extra time and distance
- Give plows plenty of room and remember they may need to back up
- When approaching a plow, keep your headlights on and stay to the right
These activities improve road safety, increase the efficiency of our snowplowing operations and help reduce the cost of winter services by allowing us to plow properly with one pass.