(Waterloo, Ont. – Dec. 12, 2013) Waterloo Fire Rescue’s fire chief Lyle Quan has a holiday wish and he needs your help to make it come true.
“I’m wishing for a fire-free holiday season this year,” said Quan. “But I need you to make this come true!”
While fire can happen anywhere, at any time, it most often strikes when we let our guard down - when we’re distracted by the hustle and bustle of the holidays, by the telephone, by the kids or by the doorbell. All it takes is for a pot to be left on the stove, or a candle left burning unattended, and a family’s holiday celebrations can turn to tragedy.
“Consider using battery-operated or electric flameless candles,” continued Quan. “Never leave cooking unattended, drink responsibly, and keep a close eye on those who do not.”
Waterloo Fire Rescue also reminds you that it’s the law to maintain working smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas of your home. Everyone is urged to take a few minutes to test their smoke alarms and install new batteries if needed.
It is also a good idea to have a carbon monoxide alarm that will alert you to the presence of this deadly gas.
The holidays are a time when friends and family visit. Have a home fire escape plan with two ways out and make sure everyone is familiar with the plan.
For more information on fire and life safety, please visit the Waterloo Fire Rescue website at www.waterloo.ca/fire.