Comprehensive zoning by-law review
The City of Waterloo's zoning by-laws establish and regulate land uses in the city, implementing the policies in the city's official plan.
Zoning regulates a number of property-development matters including:
- Establishing permitted land uses
- Setting maximum and minimum building heights and densities
- Restricting building locations, including setbacks
- Establishing minimum lot sizes
- Facilitating urban design and landscaping objectives of the city
- Establishing parking requirements
Currently, the City of Waterloo has three zoning by-laws. Although the current zoning by-laws have been amended over time, a comprehensive review has not been undertaken since their enactment.
In 2012, the City of Waterloo adopted a new Official Plan which was approved in December 2012.The city is now undertaking a comprehensive zoning by-law review to implement the new official plan and to update its zoning regulations to reflect current planning standards and best practices.
Second draft zoning by-law (April 2017)
In January 2016, staff presented the first draft zoning by-law to council and the public for feedback. Over the last year, staff received almost 300 comments on the first draft zoning by-law and met with a wide array of stakeholders and local residents. A second draft zoning by-law is now available for review and feedback.
An informal public meeting will be held on Monday April 24, 2017 to introduce the second draft zoning by-law and to receive feedback from council and the public. No decisions will be made at this meeting. Public engagement opportunities will be presented to council on May 8, 2017.
All comments on the second draft zoning by-law must be provided by July 1, 2017.
Second draft zoning by-law - please note this document is not currently accessible in its current format. Should you require an accessible version please contact TTY 1-866-786-3941
First draft zoning by-law (January 2016)
First draft zoning by-law
Existing zoning by-laws
Current and draft zoning
- To check the current zoning of a property, please refer to this map or to the interactive map.
- To check the first draft zoning of a property, please refer to this map or to the interactive map.
- To check the second draft zoning of a property, please refer to this map or the interactive map.
- To check the draft parking overlay, please refer to this map or the interactive map.
If you have any questions regarding the comprehensive zoning by-law review, please contact the City of Waterloo for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org