Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Zone Changes

A building under construction

A zone change is a process that changes the permitted use of land or the specific manner in which it is regulated, such as setback or height.

Waterloo city council will only consider zone change applications if the proposed amendment conforms with our official plan.

A zone change application is a public process, which means the public has the right to comment on all proposed zone changes.

Learn more about our current zone change applications.


New - source water protection 

Starting July 1, 2016, the policies in the Grand River Source Protection Plan apply in the City of Waterloo and may impact the following planning applications if the property is in a vulnerable area. 

  • Site plan
  • Committee of adjustment
    • Consent applications
    • Minor variance applications requiring site plan approval (note: minor variance applications that do not require site plan approval are exempt)
  • Zone change/official plan amendment
  • Draft plan of subdivision
  • Demolition control

Check the Region of Waterloo's website: for more information about how the new policies may affect your project

Before submitting your planning application:

  1. Go to 
  2. Click on "I need a document for a building permit or development application"
  3. Enter the property location
  4. Answer questions as prompted
  5. Follow instructions on how to proceed
  6. Include the City of Waterloo source protection plan - screening form with your application form

Additional forms