Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Fee Assistance

Fee assistance is available for local children and adults who would like to participate in City of Waterloo programming but who may not have the financial means to do so.

Eligible Waterloo residents receive the assistance in the form of a credit towards direct city recreational programs and affiliated minor sports and arts programs.

Applying for fee assistance

Download this brochure and application form to begin the fee-assistance process. The brochure contains full program, application and eligibility details. You can also pick up the form at our recreation facilities and City Hall.


The fee assistance leisure access program is based on permanent residency and total household income, as is outlined in the brochure. Fee assistance cannot be used to pay for fundraising or membership fees, dues, admission or ticket costs, or program materials and supplies.

Frequently asked questions

Q. What is a permanent resident?

A. A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries. A person in Canada temporarily, like an international student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.

How do I apply for fee assistance?

A. Take the signed, completed fee-assistance form and proof of total household income and current address to any of our recreation facilities or mail them to City Hall.

City of Waterloo
c/o Lynn Dicks-Egley
100 Regina St. S.
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, Ont. N2J 4A8

Q. When and how often should I apply?

A. You must apply annually, at any time throughout the year.

Q. How much credit will I receive?

A. If approved, you will receive an annual maximum credit of $300 per person, depending on budget availability.

Q. When will I find out if my application was approved?

A. If approved, you will receive a confirmation letter and a leisure access card in the mail within two weeks of your application.

Q. How do I use the leisure access card?

A. Simply show your card when you register for a program and your credit will be applied to the program fee. For minor sports and arts programs, you will need to call us at 519-747-8512 TTY (for deaf) 1-866-786-3941 to let us know what you signed up for and how much it cost. If you use your annual credit before Nov. 30, you will need to begin paying full price for programs. You may then apply for fee assistance the next year.

Q. Is the leisure access card good from January until December?

A. No, the calendar year for fee assistance is Dec. 1 to Nov. 30 each year.