Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate


A man in a uniform

The City of Waterloo's noise by-law (no. 2010-073) regulates noise in the city.

A certain amount of common living noise - such as children playing outdoors and people talking in their backyards - is expected. However, some noises are prohibited:

  • A dog barking daily and excessively
  • Construction equipment other than in connection with Residential Renovations operated before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m. as well as on Sundays and statutory holidays

Learn more about applying for a noise exemption. A calendar of upcoming approved exemptions is also available.


By-law officers may use handheld meters to measure noise and assess if it is exceeding the limit for a particular source of noise. Charges may be issued if the by-law is violated. The minimum fine for an offence under this by-law is $400.

If you believe someone is violating the noise by-law and would like to file a complaint, please contact us online or by calling 519-747-8785. For after-hour calls or on weekends, call the Waterloo Regional Police Service at 519-653-7700 and ask for dispatch. They will send one of our by-law enforcement officers to investigate.

Direct complaints about noise on a university campus to the appropriate security department:

  • University of Waterloo - 519-888-4911
  • Wilfrid Laurier University - 519-885-3333