Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Crest and Colours

CrestCity of Waterloo crest

Divided into four sections, the City of Waterloo's crest reflects stability.

  • The buildings in the top left represent the industries and insurance companies in Waterloo. We are home to the head offices of several insurance companies.

  • The trees and water in the top right represent Waterloo Park and all the parks and recreational opportunities here. We are an environment first community.

  • The houses in the lower left represent the people who live in our vibrant neighbourhoods.

  • The covered wagon in the lower right represents the way in which many of our early settlers travelled here from Pennsylvania.


Our official colours - black and yellow - originated with prominent local businessman Joseph E. Seagram's horse-racing stable colours. Seagram is most notably associated with the Seagram distillery, which had a long-standing tradition in Waterloo, operating continuously on the corner of Erb and Caroline streets from 1857 to 1992.

Seagram, an avid horse breeder and horse-racing enthusiast, established the Seagram stable in 1888. Seagram's victories in Canada and occasionally in the United States carried the stable standing to number one in Canada and ninth in the United States. Most impressive are the 20 victories at the Queen's and King's Plates with eight consecutive wins from 1891-1898, a record that still stands. Continuing his string of firsts, the Seagram racing silk colours of black and yellow, based upon Joseph's (yellow) and his wife Stephanie's (black) favourite colours, were the first to be registered. With so much local pride, the Town of Waterloo adopted them as the official colours.

Seagram was a civic leader and politician as well as an industrialist. As Waterloo's most prominent 19 th -century public figure, he served as a town councillor from 1879 to 1886 and then as Waterloo North's member of Parliament from 1896 to 1908. He was a generous man who gave back to this community.

Among his donations were five hectares (13 acres) of land where the Grand River Hospital now stands. He specified the land was to be used for hospital services only and that the facilities were to be open to people of all races and creeds.

Seagram's philanthropic legacy continued through subsequent generations of the family with generous donations supporting community enhancement.