Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Frequently Asked Questions - Property Taxes

How can I change the mailing address or ownership of my property?

To prevent misdirected tax bills, please advise revenue services in writing of mailing address changes. Failure to do so can result in penalty and interest charges. If an ownership change has occurred, return the tax bill to the city, attention revenue services. To change ownership on a property, the city requires a copy of the land transfer deed or a letter from your lawyer.

How do I remove a deceased owner's name from a property?

To remove a deceased owner's name from the property tax roll, the city requires a letter from your lawyer or a copy of the death certificate, as well as a copy of the land transfer deed indicating joint tenancy. If you do not have joint tenancy, the city requires an Application to Amend the Register or a Survivorship Application.

The mortgage company is to be paying my taxes, so why did I receive this bill?

If the mortgage company pays on your behalf, please forward your bill to them.

How is my interim bill calculated?

Your interim bill is 50 per cent of the total taxes you paid in the previous year. In most cases, this will be your previous year's assessment value times 50 per cent of the previous year's tax rate.

Why did I receive a supplementary tax bill?

The supplementary tax bill may reflect new structures, additions or improvements you made to your property. This bill is effective from either the date of occupancy or the date of purchase.

When will the current year's assessment impact my tax bill?

Once the tax rates are set for city, region and education levies, the final tax bill will be calculated using the current year's assessment less your interim bill.

What happens if I have appealed my current year's assessment?

Your final tax bill will reflect your current year's assessment prior to your appeal. Once a decision has been reached, your account will be adjusted in a timely manner.

How do I appeal my assessment?

For more information regarding appealing your assessment, please visit the MPAC website.

How do I appeal supplementary assessment?
  • If a property owner disagrees with the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation's (MPAC) supplementary assessment, s/he can dispute the assessment. Property owners with a residential, farm, or managed forest property must first submit a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) to MPAC within 90 days of receiving the supplementary assessment notice. MPAC will render its decision within 180 days after submission of the RfR. If property owners are not satisfied with MPAC's decision on their RfR, they may file an appeal to the Assessment Review Board (ARB). This must be done within 90 days of receiving MPAC's decision.
  • For commercial, industrial and multi-residential properties, owners can either file an RfR with MPAC or appeal directly to the ARB - either must be done within 90 days of receiving the supplementary assessment notice.  If the owner chooses to file an RfR with MPAC and is not satisfied with the result, they may then file an appeal to the ARB within 90 days of receiving MPAC's decision.
Why can my assessment valuation be different on each tax bill?

The market value of your home is the basis for determining your assessed value. This can change from year to year. MPAC has valued your home for the taxation years 2017 to 2020 as of Jan. 1, 2016.

Why have I received more than one tax bill?

Each tax bill represents an effective date for the year in which you have been billed. The effective date is shown in the box to the left of the 'Summary Box'. Current and previous years' taxes are due in 30 and 60 days from the date of billing.

 How do I change the school board support designation on the property tax bill?

Please follow MPAC's process to change the school board support designation.