Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Change of Home Ownership

Kids playing in leaves

Important things to consider when purchasing a home in Waterloo

1. Obtain a Tax & Water Certificate - Tax & Water certificates confirm the current status of the Property Tax & Water accounts


2. Sign up up for Pre-authorized Payment Plan - efficient and convenient method of payment; avoid line ups and late payments for Property Tax and Water accounts


3. Request a Final Water Meter Read/New Account Set Up - call the City on (519) 747-8718 or email, at least 4 business days prior to the closing date


4. If your home is a new build, please be aware that MPAC may not have assessed your property yet. Once MPAC finalizes the assessment, Supplementary Tax bills will be issued. For the first 12 to 18 months after occupying a newly constructed home, or until the assessment is completed, your property tax bills may cover the land only, not the building. Please ensure you make allowances in your budget to cover these bills


5. Garbage Collection - contact the Region of Waterloo on (519) 575-4400 or visit

To change the ownership information on a property, you must submit the following:

  • A copy of the registered transfer deed or
  • A letter from the lawyer confirming the ownership transfer and closing date

If you receive a tax bill from the City of Waterloo for a property you no longer own, please return the bill to us right away, indicating to whom (if known) the transfer of the title has been made. Alternatively, you can direct the bill to the new owner of the property.

In order to prevent misdirected tax bills, please ensure you advise the City in writing of the mailing address change

Failure to redirect your tax bills or advise of a change in mailing address, could result in a penalty and interest charges of 1.25% per month on overdue tax accounts.

For a change in ownership details due to the owner being deceased, the following are required:

  • Copy of the death certificate


  • A letter from your lawyer or
  • Copy of the transfer deed showing  joint tenancy or
  • Survivorship application

One time fees are applicable for ownership name change and new account setup.

Submitting your change of ownership

You can submit your change of ownership or address requests in a number of ways.


In person

Revenue desk on the first floor of City Hall at
100 Regina St. S.




Revenue Services

City of Waterloo

100 Regina St. S.

PO Box 337, Station Waterloo

Waterloo, Ont. N2J 4A8