Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate


You may need a work or special event permit if you are planning a project, activity or event that requires access to City of Waterloo or Region of Waterloo roads.

Work permits

The City of Waterloo regulates work that is occurring on municipal roads, sidewalks and boulevards. You must apply for a work permit if you need to use or access any of these right-of-ways, for a project or activity.

Examples of work activities on city right-of-ways that require a work permit include, material or equipment storage, excavation and roadway occupancy, for an extended period of time.

You may not close or block off any portion of a city right-of-way without a permit and may receive a work-stoppage order or fines if you violate this by-law.

Applying for a work permit

Please note: The City of Waterloo strives to make all of its services accessible to all, including this website. The 2018 Road Occupancy Permit may be inaccessible in its current format. If you would like this document in an alternate format, please contact Helga Bowman, Traffic & Control Technician, Transportation Services, by telephone at 519-886-2310 ext. 30270.

  • Apply for your permit at least five working days before you would like to start your project
  • Get a certificate of insurance, completed by your insurer, before you apply for a permit
  • Your insurance coverage must be at least $2 million and identify the City of Waterloo as an additional insured
  • Provide an explanation of the work, including its scope, location and time/duration

Bring your completed application form and insurance information to the Service Centre at 265 Lexington Ct. to apply or fax in your form to (519) 886-5788, attention Helga Bowman.

Special Event on a Municipal Road

A special event permit is required by any person or organization wanting to hold an event that involves the use of the municipal right of way (roadways and sidewalks). This includes but is not limited to, parades/processions, street dance/party, festival/carnival, race/walk-a-thon, demonstration or any similar event that requires a lane/road closure or may interfere with the normal flow of traffic. You will be required to fill out a Special Event Permit Application. Additional applications or special permissions may also be required.  Exempt from this policy are wedding or funeral processions, picketing or an activity for which the Region or City has granted a Work Permit or a Filming Event Permit.

Parking permits during construction 

The City of Waterloo makes temporary on-street parking permits available to contractors and residents being temporary displaced from their driveways.  For more information, please call the City of Waterloo Service Centre at 519-886-2310 a minimum of two business days in advance of requiring a permit.