Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Pools and Hot Tubs

Swimming pool

All swimming pools and hot tubs that can hold 0.6 metres (two feet) of water or more require an enclosure. All enclosures require a permit and must comply with our pool enclosure by-law (no. 2013-018). 

Pool enclosure options include a fence, building or wall. If you choose a fence, it must comply with our fence by-law (no. 2013-017). For hot tubs, the enclosure could be a fence or an approved lockable hot tub lid. 


Here is the application for a pool or hot tub enclosure permit. 


The pool or hot tub enclosure permit fee is $162. You must pay the fee when you apply on the first floor of City Hall in the enforcement division at 100 Regina St. S. We accept cash, cheques, credit card and debit in person.

More information

Here are some helpful tips for building a pool or hot tub enclosure:

  • You must get a permit and submit drawings, including what the enclosure will look like
  • Your pool must have a minimum 60-centimetre (two-foot) setback from the property line
  • The fence around your pool or hot tub must be built in accordance with the pool enclosure by-law as well as the fence by-law
  • No water in pool until pool enclosure is installed
  • Must not encroach onto neighbouring property
  • Locate utility lines before you dig


Chemicals in pool and hot tub water can harm vegetation and be toxic to wildlife. Pools should be emptied no less than three days after the last intense chemical treatment - this gives time for chemicals to evaporate. The water should be released over your lawn to the road, not into natural areas or buffers. By doing so, some water will soak into the ground, sediment will be filtered out and most remaining chemicals will evaporate.


By-law officers may enter and inspect any property - without a warrant - to determine whether or not it conforms to the by-law. If it does not, the officer may issue the property owner an order to comply. If the property owner does not comply, we may undertake the necessary measures at the owner's expense.

If you believe someone is violating the fence by-law and would like to file a complaint, please contact us online or by calling 519-747-8785.