Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Sidewalk Clearing

Man shovelling snow

In the City of Waterloo, our sidewalk clearing by-law requires home and business owners to clear sidewalks within 24 hours after the end of a snowfall or ice storm. Not clearing your sidewalks can result in city crews clearing them at your expense.

City-maintained sidewalks

The city, however, does maintain over 95km of sidewalks and a number of trails that are not attached to a particular residence or business. Areas with acknowledged need for increased mobility are given priority following a snowfall or ice storm.

To report an uncleared municipal sidewalk or trail, please contact our service centre at 519-886-2310 (7:00am-4:30pm, Mon-Fri) or notify us on Twitter @citywaterloo.

A map showing city/privately cleared sidewalks can be viewed here, or downloaded

Reporting unshovelled sidewalks

Contact municipal enforcement at or 519-747-6280 to report an unshovelled sidewalk. Residents and businesses have until 24 hours have passed from the end of the snowfall or ice storm to clear a sidewalk.

Sidewalk clearing assistance

If you cannot clear your sidewalks because of health or mobility restrictions, there are several local agencies that can help. Call ahead for details as there may be fees and eligibility requirements.