Permits for working in parks

Find requirements, fees and application details for Park Access Permits, and how to undertake work on easement lands

If you need to access private property through city-owned parks or trails, you require a park access permit. Typically this is needed for larger building projects such as installing a fence or pool, and the permits are acquired by professional contractors.

Apply for a Park Access Permit

  1. Download a permit form, fill it in and apply in person at the Waterloo Service Centre at least two weeks before you begin construction. The non-refundable application fee is $96.90.
  2. A member of our parks team will schedule a site visit and determine conditions for approval. Based on our assessment, your application may be denied.
  3. Comply with all permit pre-conditions, including a certificate of insurance with at least $2 million in coverage, identifying the City of Waterloo as an additional insured and proof of a Workplace Safety and Insurance Board clearance certificate.
  4. Bring all final forms and proof of insurance to the Waterloo Service Centre prior to work commencing.

Working in easements

If a utility company needs to access existing easements on city-owned parks or trails, or would like to request a new easement, contact us by email at

If requesting a new easement, include the following information:

  • company name and address
  • contact information
  • location of easement, including park name and address
  • description of plant
  • attach sketch