Projects that require a building permit
- Backflow prevention
- Basement and main-floor walkouts
- Building renovations and conversions
- Decks and sheds
- Demolishing a building or structure on your property
- Foundation excavation or construction
- Garages and carports
- Heritage alterations
- New buildings or structure on your property
- Plumbing installations or changes
- Pools and hot tubs
- Sunrooms and porches
- Walls - adding and removing
- Windows and doors - new ones and structural alterations
For additional information refer to our building by-law.
Fees associated with these and other building projects are outlined in our Integrated Planning and Public Works fee guide.
Policies in the Grand River Source Protection Plan apply in the City of Waterloo and may impact planning and building permit applications in vulnerable areas beginning July 1, 2016. These policies can apply to applications regardless of the current zoning on the site. Check the Region of Waterloo’s website: www.regionofwaterloo.ca/sourceprotection for more information about how the new policies may affect your project.
Building standards year-end statements for 2014 are available for download.