Skip navigation
Social Media
Contact Department

Email IconTranslate

Building and Renovating

Two people look at a construction site

The City of Waterloo's building standards and zoning teams will assist you with your home building projects, from additions and demolitions, to sheds and solar panels. Many projects require a building permit, which you can apply for at City Hall at 100 Regina St. S.  Please note effective August 1, 2013, digital submissions will be required to accompany most building permit applications.

Projects that require a building permit

  • Additions
  • Backflow prevention
  • Basement and main-floor walkouts
  • Building renovations and conversions
  • Decks and sheds
  • Demolishing a building or structure on your property
  • Dormers
  • Fireplaces
  • Foundation excavation or construction
  • Garages and carports
  • New buildings or structure on your property 
  • Plumbing installations or changes
  • Pools and hot tubs
  • Sunrooms and porches
  • Walls - adding and removing
  • Windows and doors - new ones and structural alterations

For additional information refer to our building by-law.

Fees associated with these and other building projects are outlined in our development services fee guide.

Building standards year-end statements for 2013 are available for download.