The City of Waterloo's building standards and zoning teams will assist you with your home building projects, from additions and demolitions, to sheds and solar panels. Many projects require a building permit, which you can apply for at City Hall at 100 Regina St. S.
Projects that require a building permit
- Backflow prevention
- Basement and main-floor walkouts
- Building renovations and conversions
- Decks and sheds
- Demolishing a building or structure on your property
- Foundation excavation or construction
- Garages and carports
- New buildings or structure on your property
- Plumbing installations or changes
- Pools and hot tubs
- Sunrooms and porches
- Walls - adding and removing
- Windows and doors - new ones and structural alterations
Fees associated with these and other building projects are outlined in our development services fee guide.
Building standards year-end statements for 2012 are available for download.