Skip navigation
Social Media
Email IconTranslate

Who Can Vote?

Municipal Government

An individual in the City of Waterloo is entitled to be a voter during the municipal election if he or she:

  • is a Canadian citizen;
  • is at least 18 years old;
  • resides in the City of Waterloo, or is the owner or tenant of land, or the spouse of such owner or tenant; and
  • is not prohibited from voting by law.

 The following are ineligible to vote in a municipal election:

  • a person serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution;
  • a person acting as executor or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy;
  • a corporation; or
  • a person convicted of a corrupt practice for an election held within four years of voting day.

School Boards

In order to vote in an English-language separate district school board, an elector must be a Roman Catholic who qualifies as an elector or is a supporter (or spouse of a supporter) of the separate school board. A voter qualifies as an elector in any school board if he or she:

  • is a Canadian citizen;
  • is at least 18 years old;
  • has not already voted in the election for school trustees elsewhere in the school board's area of jurisdiction;
  • resides in the local municipality or territory or is the owner or tenant of a residential property, or is the the spouse of such owner or tenant; and
  • is not otherwise prohibited from voting by law.

Voting frequency

A voter is only entitled to vote once within a municipality or school board, even if a voter has more than one qualifying address within the municipality or school board.

What identification do I need to vote?

All voters, should bring proof of identification showing name and address. See here for a list of acceptable forms of ID. 

Failing that, you can also sign a legal declaration form that confirms your voting eligibility (that you are a Canadian citizen, over the age of 18, and currently reside in the City of Waterloo).

More information

For additional information please contact:  

Office of the City Clerk
Legislative Services

City of Waterloo
100 Regina St. S.
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, Ont.
N2J 4A8
TTY. 1-866-786-3941