Building and renovating

Building permits

Find out what type of building projects require a permit, how to apply and pay, and how long the process takes.

Fence and enclosure regulations

Fences and pool/hot tub enclosures do not require a building permit, but are subject to other city regulations.

Residential rental licences

Low-rise residential rental units in Waterloo require an annual licence. Find application requirements and fees here.

Heritage alterations

If you live in a heritage district/property you need extra approvals for renovations. Find application requirements here.

Letters of compliance

Apply for letters of compliance to confirm adherence to property standards and appropriate land use.