Noise complaints and exemptions

The city's noise bylaw (PDF) sets out standards for different types of noise. 

General rules include:

  • persistent noise is prohibited at all times
  • yelling, shouting, and loud voices are prohibited from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. (9:00 a.m. on Sundays)
  • residential renovation noise is prohibited from 9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. (9:00 a.m. on Sundays)
  • commercial construction noise is prohibited from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. (all day on Sundays and holidays)

Making a noise complaint

To request enforcement, call:

If the noise is taking place on a university campus, call:

Noise bylaw exemptions

There are no current exemptions.

Applying for a noise exemption

  1. Download and complete a noise exemption application (PDF).
  2. Submit forms in person at city hall at least 60 days before the exemption is requested to begin.
  3. Pay the applicable fee. We accept cash, debit, credit, cheque or money order (playable to the City of Waterloo).

To find out if you need a noise exemption, contact us at 519-747-8785, 1-866-786-3941 (TTY) or