Insurance claims

If you have incurred costs or damages for which you believe the city may be responsible, follow the process outlined below to have your claim considered. 

According to the Municipal Act, we must receive notification in writing. Some claims have time limits for reporting the incident.

We suggest that in cases of damage, you contact your insurance company or broker. If the insurer believes the city is responsible, they may seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy. 

Filing a claim

  1. Complete the insurance claim form (PDF).
  2. When filling out the description portion of the form, please provide a brief description of what happened and the type of damage or injury. Include the name of any contractors involved, if known. 
  3. Submit to or in person at the Legislative Services counter at city hall

Claim process

Once we recieve the claim it will be forwarded to the Waterloo Region Municipal Insurance Pool (WRMIP) where all claims are investigated by insurance professionals.

You will be advised of the outcome of the investigation when all relevant facts are determined. WRMIP can be reached at 519-741-2961 if you have questions.  


We do not provide compensation for your costs unless you provide evidence that the city committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in the injury or damage.

Like most Canadian municipalities, we only compensate when we are legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

This claims process does not mean that the City of Waterloo is accepting liability for your claim, nor does it waive any legal rights that the City of Waterloo may be able to rely on in matters such as these.