Tax billing and account changes

Due to COVID-19:

- all city facilities are closed and in-person services are suspended
- contact 519-747-8718 or for customer service
- we recommend switching to online or telephone payment through your bank
- late payment fees are not being charged for April, May and June
- the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) has postponed the 2020 Assessment Update

Full details on financial relief are available in the FAQs below.



Frequently asked questions about COVID-19 financial relief

How do I access the interest free period?

The interest-free period is automatically applied, no forms or application is needed. The city will not be charging interest on property tax, water or on other amounts due to the city in the months of April and May 2020.

I am on a pre-authorized payment plan (PAP) how do I cancel my payments?

For property tax or water payment plans, please email or or call 519-747-8718 to request cancellation of the PAP schedule at least three business days before the scheduled withdrawal date.

I have provided post-dated cheques, will they still be cashed?

If you provided post-dated cheques and wish to defer payment to June 1, please email or call 519-747-8718 to request this deferral at least three business days before the date on the cheque.

I pay my taxes through a mortgage company, how do I access this relief?

Customers who pay their taxes through their mortgage should contact their mortgage company or financial institution to understand how this grace period will affect their mortgage amount and/or mortgage payment schedule.

I have paid by a cheque that does not clear, how will this impact my account?

If your cheque is returned as NSF (non-sufficient funds), the City will reverse payment on your account and not charge a NSF fee or penalties during April and May 2020.

Are landlords required to pass on savings to their tenants?

The city is providing this relief from all payments due to the city in April and May.  We are encouraging landlords to pass on that relief to their tenants.

I have received a collection letter this year what will happen over the next 60 days?

The city will suspend all collection efforts on accounts in arrears during April and May 2020 and will also not apply penalty or interest for the same months.

Will I still receive bills during the next 60 days?

Water Utility and Other miscellaneous billing will continue to be mailed out during the next 60 days.

The water utility bills will indicate due dates and late payment consequences however, the Comment Box will state no interest or penalty for late payment of amounts due in April and May 2020. You may choose to defer payment until June 1 without penalty or interest.

When are my bills due then?

Bills remain due on the date indicated on your bill/invoice. You may choose to defer payment until June 1 without penalty or interest.

What will occur on June 1 once the relief period has expired?

Currently the relief period applies to April and May 2020. Interest will be applied to any balance remaining in arrears after June 1, 2020.

Tax, water and other accounts with the city that remain in arrears are encouraged to contact or 519-747-8718 to discuss alternate payment arrangements if full payment cannot be made at that time. The city appreciates this is a difficult time for anyone and we are here to help.



Find property tax due dates and payment options, learn how to make changes to your account and the fees we charge for tax services. Use Canada Post’s epost service to receive your bill online.

Sign up for online billing

Due dates

For property owners that don’t submit taxes through a mortgage company, the upcoming due dates apply. If you pay through your mortgage and receive a tax bill, please forward it to your mortgage company.

Payment type Property Type First installment Second installment
2020 interim Residential March 2, 2020 May 1, 2020
2020 final Residential July 2, 2020 September 2, 2020
2020 final Multi residential/commercial September 2, 2020 October 2, 2020

Billing types

Interim bills

Interim bills cover taxes due for the first six months of a year, paid in two instalments. Bills are mailed out in February with payments due in March and May.

Amounts are estimated based on 50 percent of the previous year's property taxes.

Final bills

Final bills cover taxes due for the last six months of a year, paid in two instalments. Bills are mailed out in June, with payments due in July and September.

Final bills are calculated using the current year's assessment and tax rate, less your interim bill.

Supplementary bills (for newly built or renovated homes)

If you have purchased a new home or made significant improvements to your property, make an allowance for a supplementary tax bill in your budget plans.

For 12 to 18 months after occupying a newly constructed home, or until the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is able to complete an assessment, property tax bills may cover the land only (and not the building).

Once the property is properly assessed, the homeowner will receive a notice from MPAC. A supplementary tax bill will follow with taxes to cover the building from the date of occupancy. If your mortgage payment includes taxes, please forward the supplementary bill to your mortgage company.

Payment methods

Online or telephone banking

When paying online or by phone through your bank, we recommend paying at least three business days before the due date. Most banks can schedule payments ahead of time.

The payee name can vary depending on the bank. The most common are “City of Waterloo Taxes” and “Waterloo Ontario Taxes.”

Use your 15-digit tax roll number as the account number. Do not leave any spaces or decimal points between the numbers (012345678910000, for example). Contact your bank if you need assistance.

Pre-authorized payments

Using this plan we automatically withdraw scheduled tax payments from your bank account. The deadline to apply for a current tax year is September 15. Full details are on the pre-authorized tax billing application form.

Download application form (PDF)

Completed form and void cheque can be submitted in person at the revenue counter or in the deposit boxes at city hall, by fax at 519-747-8760, by email to, or by mail to:

Revenue Services
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8

To cancel a pre-authorized payment or change your banking information, download and submit a cancellation/change form (PDF).

In person

During business hours visit the revenue counter at city hall or front desk at the Waterloo Service Centre. Cash, cheque and debit are accepted. Please bring your entire tax bill with you.

You can also drop off a payment at any time in a secure box at the William Street entrance of city hall. Only cheques payable to the City of Waterloo are accepted. Please do not use cash. Other tips if paying by this method:

  • Write your roll number on the back of your cheques

  • Include a payment stub from your bill

  • Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like a receipt

By mail 

Write your tax roll number on the back of a cheque (payable to the City of Waterloo), include the bottom portion of your invoice and send to:

Revenue Services
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8

Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you would like a receipt. Do not send cash.

Tax account changes and fees

If a property owner moves, sells a property, or dies, account changes may be necessary.

Change of address

To have property tax bills sent to a different address, download a notice of mailing address change form (PDF). 

Completed forms can be submitted by fax at 519-747-8760, by email to, or by mail to:

Revenue Services
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8

Failure to redirect your tax bills or advise of a change in mailing address, could result in a penalty and interest charges of 1.25% per month on overdue tax accounts.

Change of ownership

To change ownership information on a property, please submit:
  • a copy of the registered transfer deed, or

  • a letter from a lawyer addressed to the city confirming the ownership transfer and closing date

If you receive a tax bill for a property you no longer own, please return it immediately, indicating to whom (if known) the transfer of the title has been made. Alternatively, you can direct the bill to the new owner of the property.

The information can be submitted in three ways:

  1. Fax to 519-747-8760
  2. Email to
  3. Mail to:

Revenue Services
City of Waterloo
100 Regina Street South
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, ON N2J 4A8

Deceased owner

For a change in ownership due to a listed owner passing away, please submit:

  • copy of death certificate, and

  • a letter from your lawyer, or

  • copy of the transfer deed showing joint tenancy, or

  • survivorship application


The following fees are associated with property tax services:

Service Fee
Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) Charge $35.00
Add arrears to tax account fee $35.00
Tax bill reprint (first reprint free for current year) $5.00
Statement of Account for Owner of Property $7.50
Statement of Account for Owner of Property - detail (current and two prior years) $20.00
Tax certificate - regular (mailed within 48 hours) $64.00
Tax certificate - rush (faxed within 24 hours) $84.25
Tax payment confirmation letter (per year) $25.00
Tax payment confirmation letter for mortgage companies (per year) $25.00
Title search fee $30.00
Residential apportionment fee $185.00
Commercial apportionment fee $620.00
Execution of extension agreement $615.00
Refund of Payment processing fee $25.00
Transfer of Payment (between accounts - first one free) $15.00

For questions about your account, call us Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 519-747-8718 or TTY 1-866-786-3941. You can also email us any time at