Demolition control

Digital submission are preferred and can be submitted to the undersigned. Payment can be made in person at the IPPW counter by booking an appointment via email, mailed to city hall or deposited in the drop box ATTN: Planning Approvals.

Demolition control approval is required by the Chief Building Official before you can apply to demolish a residential unit. It does not apply to commercial, industrial, institutional or accessory buildings.

This process allows the city to manage the demolition of residential units and maintain the integrity of neighbourhoods. It also prevents parcels of land from becoming vacant for long periods of time before new uses have been considered and constructed. Full regulatory details are in the Demolition Control Bylaw.

If the proposed demolition is part of a development that requires approval from the Committee of Adjustment or Site Plan Review Committee, it must receive a recommendation for approval before it proceeds to demolition control. This flow chart (PDF) shows how demolition control fits with other planning processes.

Application process

  1. Download and complete a Demolition Control Application (PDF).
  2. Include a source water protection plan document (find instructions below).
  3. Submit in person at the IPPW counter on the second floor of Waterloo City Centre.
  4. Fees apply: $595 for a single building and $270 for each additional building. We accept cash, cheque or debit.

Source water protection

All applications must comply with the Region of Waterloo’s source water protection plan. Follow this process to ensure your pre-consultation application is complete:

  1. Go to the region's source water protection map.

  2. Click on "I need a document for a building permit or development application" and enter location.

  3. Answer questions as prompted and download Notice of Source Protection Plan document.

  4. Save the document and include it in your application.

If you have issues with obtaining the required documentation from the Region's website, contact to obtain your Section 59 Notice. Provide the address in question, reference City of Waterloo Demolition Control, and include the description of the proposal in the request.

To ensure applicants have completed this step, we require a Screening Form (PDF) to be completed along with the Source Protection Plan document.

Review process

  1. After submitting a complete application, the review process usually takes one week.
  2. If the application is consistent with the city's Demolition Control requirements, the Chief Building Official will make a decision. If it isn't, the application will be referred to city council with a staff report for consideration.
  3. You will be notified when the review is complete.

Next steps

  • If your application is approved, you have to apply for a Demolition Permit before work can begin.
  • If council denies your application you can discuss your options with staff. 

If you have questions about your application, contact us at 519-747-8583, TTY (for deaf) 1-866-786-3941 or Christine Huynh at